Wednesday, September 6, 2017

7 Colors, 6 Projects, and 4 Techniques

Trust me, the title of this post bugs me a lot! I really wanted to do 7 colors and 7 ways today, but I accidentally splatter painted my wall and floor while trying a new technique! By the time I got things cleaned up, I had run out of time and needed to get dinner started asap.

I recently watched several videos using a pouring technique with acrylic paints. So I gathered 7 paint colors, added some medium to keep the paint fluid enough to pour. (Main supplies listed at the bottom of the post).



Technique #1 involved pouring paint onto the canvas board (I used 9x12). Then taking a cake spatula to "swipe" the paint. Um, yeah, not sure that went very well for me. It might be because most videos suggested adding a silicone to the project, which I did not have, so....




For technique #2 I was supposed to layer all the colors in one cup and then pour those out onto the canvas. Then tilt the canvas various directions to get the desired effects. This was much easier, but again, without the silicone I didn't get the "bubble/cell" effect I saw in many videos. Since it was so easy, I tried a second canvas to use up more paint, adding a little alcohol to see what happened.

 



The third technique is to make a puddle of paint towards the middle of a canvas, and spin the canvas rapidly. I tried doing that on about a dozen different surfaces underneath, and could barely get it turning, and never achieved "rapidly," however, I did splatter paint the craft room walls and floors, as I mentioned earlier! This may be one of my favorites! (The painting not the mess haha)






Lastly, technique #4, I used some water color paper to "clean up" all the paint drippings off the plastic work surface.


I just rubbed the page in the paint. These will be used as backgrounds for another project, or even some layers on a greeting card.

I will weight these down to dry flat too!


These are loosely covered to keep dust away while they dry for 3 days. I will check on them Friday and see if they are ready to apply a coat of gloss. Of course, there is a high probability they may get painted over and I will start again!


Until Next Time
~Shari

No comments: