Friday, June 18, 2021

DIY Leftover Wood Sign Project

Once you have done a few household projects, you end up with a stock of leftover wood scraps, opened cans of stain and other goodies like that. Back in 2018, we added a much needed elevator to our home. (needed due to my physical disability). I had stain left over from that, as well as other projects in our home, like these walnut stained crate shelves in our bathroom:

Not the best photo! Walnut stained crates.


Anyways, I had plenty of wood and stain, and a problem! The elevator I mentioned, has a door that looks just like all the other interior doors in our home, so people often pull on the handle to go in. Unfortunately, the door locks (to keep people from walking into the elevator pit), and when people try to open it, they usually yank harder trying to get in, when it doesn't immediately open. I decided to make a sign so that people might see it, and ask what door they should open, before the door or hinges get damaged. (we have some strong friends!)

My elevator with cherry stained cabin.

I tried my hand at gluing and clamping my wall plaque while Chad was working.


While the glue was drying, I tested all the colors of stain I have on the yellow birch wood scrap pieces, and tried to figure out with one I wanted to use.



Treated the wood with wood conditioner, and then alternately wiped all the stain colors across the sign.

I used 5 of the 6 stain colors I tested. Everything but the ebony stain. I just wiped with the grain and let dry briefly before using the next color, lightest to darkest. I finish with three coats of topcoat.

Next, I gathered all my vinyl sign supplies for my Silhouette (had to buy these because it is my first time using vinyl). I also bought the hubby a keyhole bit for his router to make the groove on the back to hang the sign up, but he is working a lot right now, so this will be finished and hung this weekend.


Ready to design and cut.


I used transfer paper to get the vinyl image from the Silhouette page to the wood sign. It was easier than expected! Now that I have some vinyl, I will definitely be making some more things 😃

I am happy with the way it turned out!

The letters are slightly crooked, which I knew almost instantly when the vinyl hit the sign, but it doesn't readjust well. Any tips you can share on making sure you get it lined up right on the first try?

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen this project. I worked on two wood projects this week. This scrap of wood with a lot of grain and a knot, has been sitting in my craft room for a few years, since my daughter made beer carriers, and thought I could use this.

Having some rubbing alcohol on the brush and wood made the ink spread smoothly.

I used alcohol inks to stain the wood. It dries quickly! You have to spread it fast, using the rubbing alcohol to keep it moving, and then wipe off the excess. The ink stains the wood nicely though!


Share your tips or projects in the comments!

Until Next Time
~Shari







No comments:

Post a Comment