Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Making (CitraSolv) Art Again

 It is a beautiful, sunny and hot day in Chicagoland, so I decide to get outside and work on a project I tried once before. I headed out to the deck, and gathered 3 simple items: National Geographic magazines, a foam brush and a bottle of Citra Solv. 


You can read the original blog post for a more detailed description, but here is a simple explanation. You can literally pour the Citra Solv directly on the pages, but I prefer to try to slather it on liberally and brush over it to soak each page.


The pages that don't have enough of the Citra Solv will not change much. If you soak it, sometimes the pages will become a blank gunky mess, as it actually removes all the color from the magazine. National Geographic magazines use a thick paper and quality ink. If you try this technique with any other magazine, you will like just end up with a inky mess on your hands!

It is so warm outside that the images dried rather quickly. Perhaps too quickly, since some didn't change much. Here is a good example of a finish, dried page-



I usually let them dry overnight, then tear out all the pages that turned out well, and then set them on paper towels for at least a week. This helps soak up some of the natural oils, and dissipate the orange smell. I did learn accidentally that the Citra Solv doesn't stain cotton pants! (Thankfully)

When I figure out what I am going to do with this new batch of papers, I will show you, but if you would like to see some possibilities, here a a couple:

My junk journal made with Citra Solv pages

Citra Solv also has an artist page to browse

What kinds of art projects do you complete outdoors?

Until Next Time

~Shari



P.S. After a couple days, I decided that many of the pages didn't turn out as nice as the one pictured above. I discovered (mostly due to laziness) that my spray bottle nozzle, fit perfectly on the Citra Solv bottle and made it SO easy to spray another round of solvent on the pages that needed more! Easy Peasy!







No comments:

Post a Comment