Thursday, June 24, 2021

Mixed Media Play

 I had a free afternoon today and this "thing" that is hard to describe (I am sure there is an actual name for it)-

Recycled Package Padding

This compressed padding thingy came as cushion for a package we received a few months ago. It looks like chipboard, newspaper and magazines chopped and pressed together. I sealed it with some Mod Podge to make sure it would hold together before I started. Then I randomly applied some white gesso. 

background layers

I used the tissue paper from an old sewing pattern, a deli sheet that picked up leftover paint from my recent Gelli prints, and more Mod Podge to make a base layer.

Adding some detail and shape

I then used some torn telephone directory pages, both white and yellow with red, blue and black highlights. I add some acrylic paint to give a basic outline for my idea.

Sponging on Mixed Media Color Box colors for more detail

After letting things dry, I sponged on some more color to make the shirt for the girl in my project. I used a stamp I got from an artist happy mail swap, of a girl's face. I have actually never used it yet, so this was a good reason to bring it out! I stamped the image with Staz-On ink.


You can still see the telephone pages in close up photos

More acrylic pain was smeared on using my fingers to give the background more color. Then, I used some stencils with paint and stamps with black ink to add some shapes and words.

Close-up of background and details

I used my Cray-Pas oil pastels for the first time to color her face, skin, hair and flowers. Let's just say it didn't work too well with all the lumpy texture and grooves, so I definitely colored outside the lines!

Close up of my bad coloring job haha

I had fun playing and trying new things. It doesn't always go like I plan, but I learn soemthing every time!  The finished mixed media piece:

* Dream * Hope * Create * Be Brave *

What are you creating this week?


Until Next Time

~Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment