Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Tea Towels - Trying Something New

I wouldn't exactly call this a pinterest fail, but I am not particularly pleased with the results either. I bought a 4-pack of cotton tea towels a couple months ago, and finally decide to do something with them.

I made two of them for my daughter with an angry squid stamp. They image didn't really get very dark, and I wondered if maybe ironing the wrinkled towels first would help. I only snapped a quick picture for her before I gave them to her. They actually look darker in the photo than in real life. The shadow and poor photo quality doesn't help. I am sorry I didn't think about taking a photo for the blog.



So I ironed the towels, and tried again, but still think the StazOn ink didn't really make a dark enough image, although it was better than the unironed towels.


Here is where things probably went sideways! I decided on a whim to color the images to make them "pop". I googled which ink pads I owned might be permanent and hold up on cotton fabric. I used some old filler blocks that came in my Sizzix die packages (I have no clue what they are made of), since they work great as ink color blenders.


I decided to use a pigment ink pad I had from CTMH (Close To My Heart). I used the little white blender pad and tried to sort of just color in the image. Yeah, so blending on thin cotton tea towels, doesn't work anything like blending on a smooth cardstock. 


I chose the navy blue for the lettering, and then you couldn't see the stamped image definition any more, so I grabbed a Sharpie to redefine those letters. I have absolutely NO clue if the Sharpie marker will hold up to washing, but I was on a "make it up as you go" roll!


Beer & Wine Lover

The two finish tea towels are ready for use, and with any luck, with some use and washing, they might look better with age!

Hope you had a relaxing weekend and some time to get your fingers inky. What project is on your crafty space this week? 

Until Next Time
~Shari





No comments:

Post a Comment