Saturday, June 12, 2021

DIY Wood Project Part 2 - Wall Shelf

If you missed part 1 of our DIY project, you might want to go check out the Silhouette storage shelf my husband, Chad, built. This wall shelf was another idea I got since we had some lumber leftover. I wanted to store my printer paper and supplies on the wall above the printer, to save the coveted closet shelf space for crafting supplies!

This post will be short, and I encourage you to revisit the link above for more details and see the products used.

I took matter into my own (impatient) hands, and sanded the shelf while the hubby was working.

Sanding Wood Shelf



After wiping it off, I added the wood conditioner, and stained the yellow birch wood shelf with the pickled stain, to match my Silhouette Cameo storage shelf. (The smaller wood item behind the wall shelf is another little project I came up with, and will be a different post soon. I HATE to waste the expensive wood!)


Just needed to wait MANY hours and do all the topcoat layers, and have Chad hang it on my wall. I asked him to use the metal wall shelf brackets we had, partly because I like metal and wood together, but mostly because I am cheap and want to repurpose old stuff we had on hand.

Craft Room Organization

I still have to fill up the new shelf with office supplies, and reorganize my craft closets (yes, I have more than one!) I attempted to share a few storage ideas form my craft room a couple year ago. I recently added a new shelf unit that my husband made for my Silhouette.

I thought I'd share a few of my organization units along with the finished shelf today.

New matching shelf for office paper and supplies

Below is a sampling from my craft room storage solutions. Stamps, punches and mixed media supplies are tucked out of the way in the closet. My craft room was a bedroom, so I just removed the doors and added shelves.

Working on reorganizing craft closet shelves with office supplies gone.

I keep my Big Shot cart next to my craft work table. I can easily grab it, or just use it right where it is located.
Sizzix Big Shot Die Storage Cart


I made organization/dividers for my dies from old plastic notebook covers!

All of my markers and papers are within reach of my desk area.

DIY Wood Marker Storage Unit


Paper Storage Cubes


$1 Shoe Bins from Home Depot for Embellishment Storage!


Lastly, I have a binder that I stamp the images from every set of stamps I buy. First, it makes me get them inky right after buying them so I fight the regret urge to return them! Secondly, I categorize them with binder tabs to quickly find a category, instead of aimlessly flipping through all of my stamps when looking for inspiration. I add the brand, stamp set name, and the storage box they are in, so I can locate them easily.
3-Ring Binder with Simple Tabs for Stamp Organization


I would love to hear your helpful storage ideas! Share a tip that helps you find your crafty stash in a hurry.

Until Next Time
~Shari










No comments:

Post a Comment